Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My 2 Year Old is the Size of a 1 Year Old

So the official stats and a quick story...

22 lbs 5 oz, coming in at 32 "

The Doc says he's hitting, if not surpassing his mile stones. But, Little Jack-Attack is only attacking his size about 2 lbs every 6 months. I was not small as a kid. You could accuse me of being short, but skinny I was not. Nate has a small bone structure, but he was always an above average kid. So maybe Jack has my height and Nate's bone structure, plus some unknown skinny gene. Doc said that we could check Jack's cholesterol levels. If they came back low, it typically means that the kid's not getting enough nutrients. I agreed to rule out the failure to thrive ruling, rather than hope it's not. Jack had his routine immunizations. Not to mention he was already freaking out when the nurse laid him down to see how tall he is. He fought and fought the shots, but we managed to hold him down for the 3 quick pokes. By now he hates the nurse, Alisha. Then it was down to draw some blood with Kim. Alisha had to come help restrain since Jack is ridiculously strong. Kim had the needle in, but Jack started to rotate his arm. The 3 of us couldn't keep him still enough, not to mention Jack was crying so hard that he puked. That was the final straw. Kim pulled out the needle and said Jack was traumatized enough for the day. I've decided, we'll leave the cholesterol check to chance. The Doc wasn't worried enough to be adamant about it. He said just to monitor his intake and to come back when he's 3 instead of 4. I love my crazy strong kid. It killed me to see him sooo vulnerable. I love my baby!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Well he is obviously all muscle and muscle weighs less than fat right? or is it more than fat? Anyway, I think he is okay, I mean I didn't get my PhD or anything, but he looks super cute, so that has to account for something rigth?! :)

Brooke and Aaron said...

For the love... I mean, I appreciate pediatricians and their nurses but sometimes enough's enough. Those are always hard appointments for me, but it's kind of a necessary evil and in the long run he's better for it. He's the cutest little guy. Emma's always been small too. Who knows, maybe your next child will be on the higher end of the curve. All siblings are so different! Cute family. We miss you guys!

The Trotter Family said...

I will never know what it is like to have a petite child. I think I am a bit jealous because you can actually get some good use out of the clothes you buy him and enjoy and remember what it is like when they are small. You can also probably carry him around still. I have gigantic kids, so I have no idea what it would be like. He is a cute little guy. You need to put up some new pictures of him soon!

Kristyn said...

I love your kiddo.

And I miss you.

And immunizations are the worst. Poor kid.

Beth and Poasa said...

Jen Jen! I hear ya on the small kid thing. Lavenia only measures 10th percentile. A whopping 15lbs at 8 months. They might be small, but they are mighty! Besides, Jack is darn cute, and I think him being a little small makes him even more adorable. And Rachel is right, clothes seem to last a little longer. I can still fit Lavenia in size 3 months.