Monday, September 29, 2008

How Embarassing... and Yes, it's Long!

So today... actually, let's start over. Ever since I can remember I would deem myself notorious for about 3-4 emotional breakdowns in a year. I can distinctly remember, back in high school, sitting down with the family to eat dinner. Everyone started talking about their days. I could not even begin to respond to my mom without breaking out into a ridiculous sob. After realizing nothing was wrong with me, I was asked to go upstairs until I could calm down. Yes, pathetically enough, my mom was aware and totally over my emotional break downs. She knew I would talk when I was ready. Long story of life short, I still maintain that it is my perogative to cry whenever I feel necessary. Today was one of my 3-4 days of this year. Embarassingly enough, it was while I was at work this morning. I could feel it coming on over the past few days. Still the last straw didn't break until 10 am in front of my employees, with my boss just feet away in my office. Not to worry, I didn't let them see me cry, but I'm fairly sure they had a good hunch. I managed to make it out the building and into an alcove before the tears started to roll down my cheeks. I got my composure, took a few more deep breaths, and then went back in. My boss, who is only based out of my store and travels most days, had no idea. She had started off on some tirade this morning about how she had so much to do after being gone a week. Yada yada yada. One cranky comment led to the next. I think I actually ended up crying over the fact that... here it comes... the breaking reason is always SO stupid. Someone was supposed to come and set up a second desk for her in my office. They didn't show up this week, and so she was upset. My assistant and I decided to try to put it together for her (She, my boss, had stepped out to answer a call on her cell). When she came back in the office she was the utter opposite of appreciative. She was blatantly upset that we had made a mess of her needed space. Even though we were under the impression that she wanted the desk put together. Needless to say, we moved her desk out of the office, and she proceeded to work at mine. I bit my lip and fought back tears as I moved my stuff out of her way. I know, stupid, stupid. My assistant could tell I was upset. She offered me a hug, and I thanked her as I passed without obliging. Letting her know that I was stepping out. How ridiculous am I? I can't believe that's what did me in. I thought I was being dumb, but it was gratifying when my boss apologized for being ridiculous. At least she knew it wasn't nice behavior. The sad thing is, on any other non-break down day the whole desk thing would only have deserved a weird look and a rhetoric "oookaaay!" And there is my embrassing story for the day. If you got to the end... thanks for reading =)

12 comments:

Kristyn said...

Sometimes a good cry makes life just SO much easier. So cry! Let it out! And cry some more! I'm glad your boss apologized. Having a bad work environment - aka, an unapologetic boss - is the pits. And I saw your post below. Uh yeah, think that all the time. We're trying now. What's with the 2nd taking so much more time than the first? Honestly.

Sarah said...

Crying is good, it cleanses the soul! I think you had every right to cry! I have those days too where I can feel it coming on during the week, and I know one of these days I am going to break down. Bravo for handling it so well, I would have gone home! I love you Jen you are the best!

Travis and Ashley said...

Hi Jen! I came across your blog and I had to say hello. I'm sorry that you had one of those days yesterday!! I totally understand, a good cry is sometimes just the ticket, you're not alone! :) Well, your little family is just adorable and I'm glad that everything seems to be going so well for you. You deserve happiness!

Jonathan and Rachel said...

Jenn - So glad to finally find you - and catch up on the years I've missed! Thank heavens for blogging and finding friends! Loves - Rach (and family!)

Brooke and Aaron said...

You're a trooper. I would have cried too. Aaron says I don't take criticism well and he's right! You're amazing for being a working mom. Your son's lucky to have such a wonderful mom!..and Nate's great too.

Ryan and Laura said...

You've had me fooled all these years :) I was actually just bragging about you to someone how you are so good at making others feel good about themselves no matter what you are talking about. I love that it seems I (or whoever is on the other end) seem like the only one in the world when we're talking...and then someone had the nerve to be a big jerk like that. I need her name and social ;) I think she deserved more than a few tears to her credit. Other than that...love you to pieces and hope the next day was a good one.

Rachel said...

Only 3-4 a year. Your husband is a lucky man. Brett has to deal with much more nonsense in the emotional breakdown world. I hope the cry has made you feel better. It didn't sounds like it was long enough too me!

The Trotter Family said...

I read the WHOLE thing...are you proud of me? Well, I know that I have been crying a lot more often than that. I am still hormonal, so I totally understand crying and it does hurt when people don't give you the credit you deserve. Go ahead and have a good cry I think it helps sometimes. You kind of feel like some of the sadness leaves with your tears!

Keli and Mike said...

I always feel refreshed after a good cry! I don't think you have anything to be embarassed about.

Chelle said...

I would have cried too...good for her for apologizing! That was really mean of her. If you only break down 3 or 4 times a year you're doing great. I do 3 or 4 times that and somtimes there's not even a reason. Sad sad sad. It is embarasing breaking down at work though (I've done that twice).

Nelson Family said...

Hi!
Sorry you had a bad day. I admire how brave you are, I would have lost it. You know how emotional I get.
I Miss you! Hope that everything is well with you and your family.

M & M said...

Jen, you are amazing! You are certainly an example to me in so many ways. We are sooo grateful that you are in our family.
Love you bunches, Mom D