Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Rediscovered

So, I have never claimed to be a reader. Last thing I remember reading, and loving, was Matilda when I was in elementary school. I think I read that thing 5 times. For a kid, it was a decent size book. Then, with Jr. High and High School, I quickly gained an aversion to reading. I hated being told what to read, and especially how fast to do it in. You see, I am a horribly slow reader. I like to blame it on the fact that I have a crazy imagination. When I read, I can't just read. No matter the subject, no matter how stale the content, I have to picture everything in my head. I like to see the WHOLE picture. School always made that hard for me. Reading started to stress me out. I felt like I couldn't read the way I wanted to... until now. "Everyone and their moms" has been telling me to read the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer. They all tried to convince me of how fabulous it was. I told them all, "sure, but you'll have to bring me the book, because there is no way I will come pick it up my own." Honestly, school had ruined me, or so I thought. Well, my sister-in-law, gave me the first of three. All I have to say about that is, it hasn't even been a week and I am already 200+ pages into the third book. For me to even get through one 500 page book is a miracle. The funny thing is, they just keep getting longer. I don't even care. It's a phenomenon. So maybe, just maybe, I have rediscovered my love for reading. Thank you Ms. Meyer!

2 comments:

Kristyn said...

I too keep hearing about the phenomenon this book has become. And I like you, refuse to buy this book, so that's great that your sis in law brought it you. I think it's cool too that a book has taken over so many people's leisure time with such force. Aside from Harry Potter this book has really consumed people's minds and time. You'll have to let me know if it REALLY is worth my time, kay!

Rachel said...

Jen, totally didn't know that you had a blog. Brett said that you had found him on facebook (is that what is it called), but he didn't say that you had a blog. So fun! I will definitely be checking up, so keep the posts coming! By the way, I love these books too, just about half way through the third. Who knew that I could love books about vampires and werewolves!? I actually took it to the doctors the other week and she asked me what the book was about. Kind of felt silly telling her, and she gave me a weird look, but if she only knew. . .